Each extra skill has a specific ability level requirement that must be reached before it can start to be unlocked. They must be unlocked in order from left to right. Extra skills can be unlocked in two ways: Fusing the card with an Extranger; and using the ability in battle.
Unlocking via Extranger
Guaranteed success if sufficient ability level; guaranteed failure otherwise.
Unlocking via ability use
It requires a certain amount of casts and a certain amount of area battles (i.e. the entire node). The card icon will begin flashing upon reaching its quota of casts and battles, and the extra skill will be unlocked during the battle result screen. Each subsequent skill requires roughly double that of the previous skill; exception being the two ★5 skills. You can decrease the battles required via Improved Extra Skill Unlock 1-6, doing battles on Mobius Day 4 IESU or in Yggdrasil: Materials on normal days x6 IESU or on MD x12 IESU, you can get max stacks any other day than MD in YM 36 IESU, or on MD 10 IESU, or on MD and in YM 120 IESU*. Without any unlocking bonus, the amount of battles and casts required is roughly as follows:
* Need confirmation if the Mobius Day IESU stacks with Yggdrassil: Materials x12 multiplication or it's ignored, if it's ignored, then the max bonus with 6 and x12 IESU becomes 72 IESU.
|Skill||Battles||Attack Casts*||Support Casts**|
*/** Card Type:
* Warrior, Mage, Ranger and Monk
Number of skills
The max number of extra skills each standard ability card can have is based on both its current rarity and base rarity.
|Base Rarity||Current Rarity|
Extra skills by card type
For all standard ability cards, the job type and ability effect determines the set of extra skills. Some event cards have their own set of extra skills.
Standard extra skills
Cards with non-standard extra skills
- Item Exchange Cards
- Scroll Cards — Has no extra skills.
- Yuna: FFX
- Aerith & Tifa: FFRK (Card)
- Vanille & Fang: FFRK (Card)
- 4 Warriors of Light: FFRK (Card)
- Tidus & Jecht: FFRK (Card)
- For cards will cooldown, namely support cards, increasing the number of actions per turn may be detrimental for unlocking skills.